Saturday, May 21, 2016

Altering A Dress Pattern And Stash Busting

I need to destash. Very desperately need to destash. The move put us in a house that feels to be half the size of the house we rented in Arizona and now things are either still in boxes because we have no where to put them or they're all over the house taking up any available floor space. So I need to empty out some of my craft tubs so I can, you know, put Grumpys hoard of useless objects in them. (Seriously who keeps empty butter tubs during a move?!)
Don't get me wrong, we did get rid of alot of stuff and even put some in storage before the move. But according to our lack of space, not enough. So to use up some of my fabric I decided to make Princess ZaZa another ball gown. So I did a sketch of what I wanted it to look like.
You can just see The Princesses bed head




I based my idea on the pattern I already have, and mainly just altered the neckline and sleeves, as well as the placement of the puffy hip things (yes thats the technical term I'm going with because I doubt anyone else would know what I was talking about if I said lappets). I plan on having two layers of organza over the underskirt  to add volume and shimmer. 
the original pattern 
I also plan on having the sash attached to the dress instead of being tied on like an after thought. That way I can forgo the giant bow on the back and move it to the front or have a flower as embellishment.

First thing I did was trace the bodice pieces in pencil on a new piece of Pellon and then changed the neckline and sleeves.
Original shape

Altered bodice pattern
That was the only part of the pattern that needed to be changed. Everything else can be changed in how I pin and sew the garment.

Now I'm going to share some scientificly magic stuff with ya'll on how to cut organza and other sheer fabrics. I know I've already shared the candle method of sealing already cut sheer fabric, but I got to wondering if there was a way to seal the fabric AS I cut it. And here is what I came up with.... Drumroll please.....
Versa-Tool
I used a Versa-Tool! Set to the highest temperature and using a cutting attachment, I was able to cut through four layers of organza and seal the raw edges at the same time! Be sure to have a heat resistant cutting mat or a thick piece of card board underneath as to not damage your work surface. A neat little tip on how to clean and sharpen the Versa-Tool tips is to use a piece of soap free steel wool and pull the the tip through it a few times while it is still hot. I have just about everything cut and ready I'm just waiting on my order of yellow overlocker thread to arrive!

See ya'll soon!
~Knotted

No comments:

Post a Comment