Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Fairy Wings Tutorial

Ready for the wings tutorial? Yea I know it is a little over due. But as I've stated before our internet sucks. Then add other Halloween activities + finish Princess's costume + 2 impromptu costumes (Grumpy and myself) = 1 busy Knotted!

I got these large leaves at Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off. There were two leaves in each package. I used 4 packs to make the wings.

 
 I spray glued matching leaves wrong sides together as the back of the leaves were not painted. Be sure to do this in a well ventilated area.

 
 
 Laying news paper down helps to keep the spray from picking up dirt and sticking it to the leaves.


 
 Next I had to apply pressure to the glued leaves to help them adhere together. I laid another piece of newspaper on top of the leaves so my hands would not get sticky when applying pressure to the leaves. I did this for all four pairs of leaves.




Because the leaves did not match up the way I wanted them to, I had to trim off some excess leaves so that no backing would show.




 In a large flat space I arranged the leaves and some pretty accent leaves until I was happy with the look. Using florist tape I attached the decorative leaves to the larger wings.


 
 
 To connect the leaves together in a way that would not stab Princess ZaZa's back I used an old hanger, some pliers and florist tape in brown.


 
 
 I cut and bent the hanger into a U-shape to help brace the wings against the Princess's back. I twisted the "wing" stems, first the bottom leave then the top,  around the hanger wire and then used the florist tape to secure it in place.


The twisting of the wire and the tape combination had the unexpected result of making the wing stems look like wood.

The tape is slightly stretchy and feels as if it is coated in wax

Almost done!
 Once the leaves where attached to the U and all sharp edges were covered with florist tape I bent the wings into a more natural shape.


 
 
 I used ribbon to tie it to the Princess's back and make adjustments. I could have just continued to use the ribbon as a means to attach the wings to Princess ZaZa, but I thought it would be more comfortable if I made little shoulder hooks out of hanger wire and florist tape. And unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that. Here are some of the only pictures I have of her wearing the wings as, like  true two year old, she decided she would absolutely, positively NEVER wear them again. And that any attempt to make her would result in earth shattering screams.







apparently the most comfortable way to wear the wings

And finally a photo from Halloween night. Both mine and Grumpy's costumes where thrown together from things we had on hand. I'm supposed to be an elf and Grumpy is a dwarf (Eat your heart out Snow White, he's mine now!). Grumpy made the staff as well as an copper plated axe (which is not pictured) and a wand for the Princess (also not pictured). We had a lot of fun. Grumpy really got into character and reverse trick or treated, aka gave out "treats" to the people who gave us candy and some to kids on the street. By treats I mean rocks, shiny rocks, because what else would a dwarf give as a treat?!  If you happened to be a recipient, just let me say on our family's behalf, Sorry He's special. Also He plans on doing it again next year.... Sigh...

 

~Knotted

No comments:

Post a Comment